Harry Potter and The Cursed Child: Parts I & II marks my 18th book read this year as part of my Goodreads Reading Challenge – which is to read 50 books in 2016. I finally have many thoughts about Harry Potter and The Cursed Child: Parts I & II that I’d like to share.
- I like the Trolley Witch hulking out.
- The new spells didn’t always have that Latin feel.
- Having time time-travel with where everything is put right at the end irks me. There are too many tiny variables that can go wrong and it relied on the characters having a perfect knowledge of past events.
- I understand the sentiment behind having Al and Scorpius solve riddles like the trio did. I cannot believe Hermione would leave riddles to be solved in lieu of hiding something important. She’d just lock that stuff away.
- I dislike Albus and Scorpius not recieving major legal punishment for breaking so many laws. Bias…in the dungeon!
- I 100% wish Albus and Scorpius were boyfriends and I feel like this could have been JKR’s chance to redeem the retconned, offscreen sexuality of Dumbledore and add some visibility.
- Disturbed by Voldemort and Bellatrix having a child, if what Delphi believes is true. I wish there were more hints to this in the book so it didn’t feel like retcon.
- I like the Augury tattoo but the prophecy and time-turner plot points both leave more questions than answers.
- I wish we had seen more characters – for example, finally seeing Teddy Lupin ‘onscreen’ – but I understand perhaps that was difficult considering it’s a play.
What did you think?